"Γηράσκω δ' αεί πολλά διδασκόμενος."
"I grow old always learning many things."Solon, (638 BC – 558 BC)
Intelligent Systems group,
Johann Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science,
University of Groningen, The Netherlands.
Welcome to the website of Ugo Moschini!
Ugo Moschini obtained a MSc degree in Computer Science from the University of Pisa, Italy, in 2010. After an internship at the European Space Agency Research and Technology Centre in The Netherlands (ESTEC), supporting university satellite operations, he was appointed at the ESA Operations Centre in Germany (ESOC). He developed under the supervision of the Mission Operations Concept Engineer David Evans a method to compress satellite housekeeping telemetry in real-time, filed for international patent.
He is currently a PhD student in the Intelligent Systems group of the Johann Bernoulli Institute for Mathematics and Computer Science at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands, under the supervision of Dr. Michael H.F. Wilkinson. His research interests are in the field of Mathematical Morphology and image processing. He is working on image analysis tools and connected and hyperconnected morphological filters with application to astronomical images. Efficient and parallel algorithms are being investigated and designed to support connected and hyper-connected attribute filtering. [ My curriculum on LinkedIn ]
- Journal: A Hybrid Shared-Memory Parallel Max-Tree Algorithm for Extreme Dynamic-Range Images.
Ugo Moschini, Arnold Meijster, Michael H. F. Wilkinson, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Volume PP, Issue 99, IEEE, 04/2017.
- Journal: Statistical attribute filtering to detect faint extended astronomical sources. [pdf]
Paul Teeninga, Ugo Moschini, Scott C. Trager, Michael H. F. Wilkinson, Mathematical Morphology - Theory and Applications, Volume 1, Issue 1, pages 100-115, De Gruyter, 03/2016.
- Proc.: Improving background estimation for faint astronomical object detection. [pdf]
Paul Teeninga, Ugo Moschini, Scott C. Trager, Michael H. F. Wilkinson, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pages 1046-1050, Quebec City 2015; 09/2015.
- Proc.: Parallel 2D local pattern spectra of invariant moments for galaxy classification. [pdf]
Ugo Moschini, Paul Teeninga, Scott C. Trager, Michael H. F. Wilkinson, Proceedings of Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns, LNCS, vol 9257, Valletta 2015; 09/2015.
- Proc.: Viscous-Hyperconnected Attribute Filters: A First Algorithm. [pdf]
Ugo Moschini and Michael H. F. Wilkinson, Proceedings of Mathematical Morphology and Its Applications to Signal and Image Processing, LNCS, vol 9082, Reykjavik 2015; 05/2015.
- Proc.: Improved Detection of Faint Extended Astronomical Objects Through Statistical Attribute Filtering. [pdf]
Paul Teeninga, Ugo Moschini, Scott C. Trager, Michael H. F. Wilkinson, Proceedings of Mathematical Morphology and Its Applications to Signal and Image Processing, LNCS, vol 9082, Reykjavik 2015; 05/2015.
- Proc.: Towards better segmentation of large floating point 3D astronomical data sets: first results. [pdf]
Ugo Moschini, Paul Teeninga, Michael H.F. Wilkinson, Nadine Giese, Davide Punzo, Jan M. van der Hulst and Scott C. Trager, Proceedings of the 2014 conference on Big Data from Space (BiDS'14), ESRIN, Frascati, Italy; 11/2014.
- Proc.:Bi-variate statistical attribute filtering: a tool for robust detection of faint objects. [pdf] [Version for ASCI.OPEN 2013: pdf]
Paul Teeninga, Ugo Moschini, Scott C. Trager, Michael H. F. Wilkinson, 11th International Conference "Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis: New Information Technologies" (PRIA-11-2013), Samara, Russia; 11/2013.
- Book Chapter: Ten Times more information in your Real-Time Telemetry (extended). [pdf]
David Evans and Ugo Moschini, Space operations: Experience, mission systems, and advanced concepts (Progress in Aeronautics and Astronautics Series), American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics, 28 October 2013.
- Proc.: Mask Connectivity by Viscous Closings: Linking Merging Galaxies without Merging Double Stars. [pdf]
Ugo Moschini, Scott C. Trager, Michael H. F. Wilkinson, Proceedings ISMM 2013, LNCS, vol. 7883, Springer, Uppsala 2013.
- Proc.: Concurrent computation of connected pattern spectra for very large image information mining. [pdf]
Michael H.F. Wilkinson, Ugo Moschini, Georgios K. Ouzounis, Martino Pesaresi, Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Image Information Mining: Knowledge Discovery from Earth Observation Data (ESA-EUSC-JRC 2012), DLR, Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany; 10/2012.
- Proc.: Ten Times more information in your Real-Time Telemetry. [pdf]
David Evans and Ugo Moschini, Proceedings of SpaceOps 2012 Conference, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Stockholm, Sweden; 06/2012.
- Master thesis [pdf]
Software developer involved in a European Space Agency and International Space Education Board (ISEB) project, called GENSO. GENSO stands for Global Educational Network for Satellite Operations. Main task has been to enable a direct, real-time and secure connection to and from satellites, adding this feature in the GENSO network.
- Bachelor thesis [pdf]
P2pDetect is a network traffic analyser written in C language. Its task is to detect hosts that are using peer to peer applications, by means of known patterns analysis in traffic packets and of heuristic methods. It is scalable to big networks (tested on the Metropolitan Area Network of Pisa).
- A full set of 12 images with the results described in the paper "Bi-variate statistical attribute filtering: a tool for robust detection of faint objects"
is available here.
- Videos showing the results described in the paper "Towards better segmentation of large floating point 3D astronomical data sets: first results" are available here.
- My BibTex .
- Intelligent Systems Group - JBI, Groningen
- Overview of recent ESA/ESOC patents
Disclaimer I take every effort to keep the content of this web-site and all its sub-pages as correct and up-to-date as possible. However, errors and mistakes cannot be excluded completely. Copyright restrictions may apply to some of the material, even if not explicitly mentioned. Furthermore, I cannot be held responsible for the content of pages that can be reached via links from this web-site and its sub-pages. The existence of such links does not imply that their content is under my control or that I would - in any way - support these pages and endorse their content. This disclaimer applies to this very page and all sub-pages within the directory http://www.cs.rug.nl/~moschini/